Chopped cheese to me sounds like someone just took a butcher knife and went to town on a block of provolone or some slices of American. That’s not quite what it is but it’s actually kind of close.
This chopped cheese recipe does involve some chopping and it does involve cheese, so, I mean, the name doesn’t completely lie. It’s basically just another sandwich that’s loaded with popular seasonings, butter, ground beef and you can probably guess the rest.
Let’s take a look at what you need to make this.
|What It Is||Name||Where to Buy|
|Cookware||Medium kitchen knife||Amazon|
|Cookware||Measuring spoons – various sizes||Amazon|
|Cookware||Measuring cup (1 cup)||Amazon|
|Cookware||Small plate (for weighing raw meat on scale)||Amazon|
|Ingredient||2/3-pound 85% lean ground beef||Store|
|Ingredient||4 slices of American cheese||Store|
|Ingredient||1/4 cup of mayonaise||Store|
|Ingredient||1 small onion, sliced very thin||Store|
|Ingredient||2 tablespoons butter||Store|
|Ingredient||1/2 teaspoon salt||Store|
|Ingredient||1/4 teaspoon pepper||Store|
|Ingredient||1/4 teaspoon garlic powder||Store|
|Ingredient||1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce||Store|
|Ingredient||1 medium tomato cut into thin slices||Store|
|Ingredient||2 hoagie buns||Store|
Let’s do it, one chopped cheese recipe step-by-step for ya right here. I think it’s best practice to prep all your ingredients before turning on the skillet.
If you wait until the meat starts cooking, you’ll end up feeling pretty rushed trying to get everything chopped up and ready.
Anyways, start with a cutting board and your onion.
Grab a medium-sized kitchen knife, too, to cut off the bad parts.
Once the onion’s cleaned up, use a potato peeler (or if you have a razor blade use that) to make really thin slices.
If the onion’s huge, don’t worry about using all of it. This chopped cheese recipe just needs a handful.
Next, grab a tomato.
Slice that up. Normal sized slices are fine, these are just going on the sandwich later.
Grab a paper towel to dry off your tomato slices so the chopped cheese isn’t all wet and gross. There was a ton of water in my tomato. Maybe yours won’t be as moist.
Next, grab a little bowl for all your seasonings.
Grab your salt and pepper for this part of the chopped cheese recipe.
Measure out a 1/2 teaspoon of salt and dump that in the bowl.
Then, measure out 1/4 teaspoon of pepper and dump that in the bowl, too.
Once that’s in there, get the garlic powder and measure out 1/4 teaspoon of that.
Dump that in and shake them all around in the bowl.
Take care of the lettuce next. I guess this step could be optional because it’s pretty easy to grab a handful of lettuce when it’s time to put in in the bun.
Measure out a cup of that and put it on the cutting board.
Following that, grab your two plates and their hoagie buns.
Slice each bun.
Once those are taken care of, grab a stick of butter and a butter knife for this part of the chopped cheese recipe.
Using the measurement on the wrapper, cut off 1 tablespoon of butter and spread it around the skillet. The skillet should be at medium-high heat.
Once that’s done, lower the heat (not all the way – see the picture) and put the first bun face down into the skillet for 3 minutes to toast it.
Once that bun’s toasted, add some more butter to the pan and toast the second bun. Half a tablespoon should be enough.
Once those are toasted, get out your kitchen scale and the 85% lean ground beef to measure 2/3 pound of it.
That’s about how much you’ll have once it’s measured out:
Before putting it in the skillet, throw another tablespoon of butter in with the onion slices. Increase your burner to medium-high heat.
Let the onions cook for about 3 minutes, moving them around periodically.
When the time’s up, move the onions to the side of the skillet and put the ground beef chunks in there. Leave them as-is and don’t break them up yet.
Sear for 3 minutes and sprinkle the bowl of seasonings on the raw side while doing that.
Once the time’s up there, flip the pieces of meat around and cook the other side for 2 minutes for this part of the chopped cheese recipe.
Once that 2 minutes is up, the meat should be starting to get brown. Start chopping it up with your spatula and mixing the onion in with the meat for this part of the chopped cheese recipe.
It’ll need about 3 more minutes to become completely browned, so here’s another timer for that:
Once your meat’s browned, get the cheese. Set two slices of American cheese on top of the ground beef. At this point, you can either cut the burner completely or lower it to a simmer if the meat’s fully browned. The cheese will get melted pretty fast while you’re prepping the bun.
Go over to your buns and measure out 1/4 cup of mayo. Spread about half of that on each bun.
Once that’s on there, grab a few tomatoes and put them on the bun, too.
Meat time. By now, the cheese for this chopped cheese recipe should be pretty melty (as you an see). Scoop one of those piles of meat and cheese into the hoagie bun.
It’s almost done. Look at that beautiful cheesy goodness.
Lastly, load it up with some shredded iceberg lettuce.
That’s it! Your sandwich is ready to eat. Heads up, it’s pretty messy, so make sure you have a napkin handy.
Notecard Version of the Chopped Cheese Recipe
Chopped Cheese RecipeCourse: LunchDifficulty: Medium
2/3-pound 85% lean ground beef
4 slices of American cheese
1/4 cup of mayonaise
1 small onion, sliced very thin
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
1 medium tomato cut into thin slices
2 hoagie buns
- Slice up onion (very thin slices), tomato, and lettuce. Dry tomato slices with paper towel. Prepare salt, pepper and garlic in a small bowl. Measure out the mayo.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter to a large skillet and toast the hoagie buns (sliced, face down in the skillet). Add more butter to the skillet between buns if toasting one at a time. Toast on low heat (3 on a scale of 1-10), 3 minutes per bun.
- Once buns are toasted, add another tablespoon of butter with the onions to the skillet. Let those cook for 3 minutes, moving them around periodically.
- Once the onions are done, move them to the side of the skillet and add the ground beef to the center of the skillet (don't break it up). Let it sear for 3 minutes on medium-high heat. While searing, sprinkle the seasonings from the small bowl on top of the raw side of the meat.
- When your time's up, flip the meat and let the seasoned side cook for 2 minutes on medium-high heat. Once that's done, start breaking up the meat with the spatula and mixing the onions in with it. It'll take another 3 minutes or so for the meat to become fully browned.
- Once it's browned, separate the meat into two piles and add two slices of American cheese to each pile. Cut the heat or turn it as low as possible.
- Prep your bun with mayo, add tomatoes, add the meat, and top with lettuce. Then cram it all in there and eat! Make sure it's not too hot though first, it may need to cool a little bit.
- Calorie calculation detailed in full article here.
Calorie Calculation Chopped Cheese
|Meat est for 1/3 pound||320|
Did you make the chopped cheese recipe? Leave a review and let other people know if there’s better ways to do it!
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.